The Dresden was launched in 1917 and commissioned into service with the German high seas fleet in 1918. Her sister ship Cöln also lies in Scapa Flow.
Uniquely of the German fleet wrecks the Dresden came to rest on its port side and on an incline. The bow sits at a depth of 25 metres and the ship slopes deeper towards the stern. Consequently this is often the first dive of a Scapa week as this allows for more conservative shakedown dives.